The NETGEAR Nighthawk X6 is a tri-band router that has been optimized with three offload processors and a 1 GHz dual core processor to deliver faster wired speed, faster Wi-Fi access speed, faster WAN-to-LAN speed and faster USB access speed. Being a network device, it is vulnerable to connectivity issues. Let us take a look at a few of its connectivity issues and how to solve them.
If you are having problems with your NETGEAR Nighthawk X6 router, here are a few things to check for and possible solutions;
NETGEAR Nighthawk X6 Troubleshooting
Problem 1: Error message‘Problem with the router detecting the internet connection’
If you are having a problem with your NETGEAR Nighthawk X6 router detecting the internet connection, you should try out the following steps;
- Start by turning off and unplugging your modem from the power source
- Turn off your modem router and all your connected computers
- Plug in your modem and then turn it back on
- Wait patiently for two minutes and then turn off your modem router
- After another two minutes, turn on your computers
Once you have completed the above steps, you should try connecting your computers to the internet and they should be able to detect the internet connection without giving you further issues.
Problem 2: Cannot recover my password
If you cannot recover your NETGEAR Nighthawk X6 router’s password, you should do the following so as to factory set it;
- Ensure that the power light of your NETEGAR Nighthawk X6 is on
- Locate the reset button at the back of your router
Press and hold the reset button using a paper clip or pen cover tip for about seven to ten seconds
- Release the button when you see the LED light come on
- Log into your router again using the default credentials. The username in this case is ‘admin’ and the password is ‘password’
- You can afterwards change your network name and password
Once you have completed these steps, you should have a new and functional Wi-Fi password.
Problem 3: Router not getting internet from cable modem
When your NETGEAR Nighthawk X6 is not getting internet from your cable modem, power cycling would be the most appropriate troubleshooting step. To do this, you should try the following;
- Turn off all the devices that you have connected to your router’s network and then turn off your cable modem.
- Wait for about two minutes and then turn on your cable modem.
- Give it some time to boot up
- Wait patiently for about five minutes so that your cable modem can establish a connection with your Internet Service Provider (observe the behavior of the LED lights and ensure they are stable to show that it is connected)
- Turn on your NETGEAR Nighthawk X6 router
- Turn on all your wired and wireless devices that you had connected to your NETGEAR Nighthawk X6 router’s network
After completing these steps, your NETGEAR Nighthawk X6 router should be able to seamlessly get internet from your cable modem.
Problem 4: I am having trouble when installing my NETGEAR Nighthawk X6 router with the Nighthawk app
If you are having trouble installing your NETGEAR Nighthawk X6 router using the Nighthawk app, you should;
- Disconnect your router from the modem
- Reboot your modem
- Connect your modem to the WAN/internet port of your NETGEAR Nighthawk X6 router using an Ethernet cable
- Re-install your NETGEAR Nighthawk X6 router using the Nighthawk app and see whether it works well this time round
In the event that this still doesn’t work after trying all these steps, you should manually install your NETGEAR Nighthawk router using the web interface. Here you should;
- Connect either your computer or mobile device to the NETGEAR Nighthawk X6 Wi-Fi network by using its network name and password
- Log into your router
- Follow the instructions displayed on the user interface and install your router
Once you are completely done with this, your NETGEAR Nighthawk X6 should be installed and ready to use.
Problem 5: Corrupt firmware affecting the booting of my NETEGAR Nighthawk X6 router
If your NETGEAR Nighthawk X6 router is not booting up properly, is showing a failed firmware update, the power LED is constantly blinking and if your router is really slow after performing a firmware update, you should;
- Download the latest firmware of your router and then save it on the desktop of your computer
- Download the Tftpd64 Software from TFTP client and then install it
- Establish a wired connection from your computer to your NETGEAR Nighthawk X6 router using an Ethernet cable
- Set in such a way that it has a static IP address
- Lastly,run the Tftpd64 software that you previously installed
Once this is done, the corrupt firmware should be eliminated and your NETGEAR Nighthawk X6 router should be working normally.
Problem 5: Dropping Wi-Fi signals
At times, the Wi-Fi signal may drop from your connected devices due to either your NETGEAR Nighthawk X6 router needing a firmware upgrade, interference from other nearby devices or because your router’s signal is low. If you are are facing connectivity failures such as dropping Wi-Fi signals, you should try the following steps;
- Move your connected devices closer towards your NETGEAR Nighthawk X6 router to enhance the signal quality and reduce the distance as per the recommended range coverage area.
- Move your NETGEAR Nighthawk X6 router away from where you had previously placed it to another location away from devices such as microwaves that could interfere with the signal.
- Update the firmware of your NETGEAR Nighthawk X6 router and its Wi-Fi adapter drivers from the web interface
- Reset your router
- Re-connect your Wi-Fi devices and confirm whether the connection is more stable
The above steps should sort out the connectivity failure of dropping Wi-Fi signals. If it doesn’t work you should consider contacting your internet service provider.
What does the Dynamic QoS and Smart Connect feature on my NETEGAR Nighthawk X6 router do?
Dynamic QoS has been designed for bandwidth prioritization by devices and the applications in use while the Smart-Connect feature works to distribute the faster and slower devices to the separate Wi-Fi bands of your router.
How fast is the NETGEAR Nighthawk X6 router and what is its range coverage area?
The NETGEAR Nighthawk X6 router has throughput speeds of up to 3.2 Gbps and it covers a range of up to 2500 square feet.