The Orbi Wi-Fi system by NETGEAR operates by replacing your current Wi-Fi router and connects to your modem from your Internet Service Provider. Being an electronic device, it is vulnerable to connectivity issues that may affect the efficiency of your network. Let us look at a few troubleshooting steps that you should use in case of any connectivity issues.
If you are having problems with your Orbi Wi-Fi system, here are a few things to check for and possible solutions:
Solved: Orbi Troubleshooting
Problem 1: Dropping connection regularly
Your Orbi Wi-Fi network may be overloaded, its Wi-Fi adapter drivers may be outdated, its firmware may need to be updated or there may be some kind of wireless interference around it. These reasons may cause your connection to drop regularly. When this happens, you should try the following steps;
- Move your connected devices closer to your Orbi Wi-Fi system and then check whether the connection works better
- If this doesn’t work, move your Orbi Wi-Fi system to a different location because the problem may be wireless interferences from other nearby devices like your home theatre or microwave among others
- Update the Wi-Fi adapter drivers of your Orbi Wi-Fi system and also its firmware on the NETGEAR website
- Restart your Orbi Wi-Fi system and then restart your previously connected devices
- Reconnect to your Orbi Wi-Fi system as you monitor its performance
Doing this should help you achieve a stable network. If your Orbi Wi-Fi system still continues to drop the connection regularly, you should try and contact your Internet Service Provider or check with NETGEAR for further diagnosis and replacement.
Problem 2: Trouble installing my Orbi Wi-Fi system
If you are having trouble with the installation of your Orbi Wi-Fi system, you should try out the following steps;
- Disconnect your Orbi Wi-Fi system from your modem
- Reboot your modem
- Using an Ethernet cable, connect your modem to the Internet port of your router
- Use the Orbi app to install your Orbi Wi-Fi system
Problem 3: Wi-Fi works but no internet
Sometimes your Orbi Wi-Fi system may be connected to the Wi-Fi but you are unable to establish an internet connection. When this happens, you should try out the following steps;
- Configure your cable modem for transparent bridge mode and then use your Orbi Wi-Fi system in router mode. (To this ensure to get into contact with your Internet Service Provider s that you can do the bridging process correctly)
- If you are unable to bridge your modem, the next thing you would need to do is to disable all the Wi-Fi radios that are on your modem
- Configure the DMZ/ ExposedHost of your modem or the IP Pass-Through for the IP address that you Orbi Wi-Fi system gets from your modem. This allows you to use your Orbi Wi-Fi system in router mode
- Disable all the Wi-Fi radios that are on your modem and then connect your Orbi Wi-Fi system to the modem.
- Configure the Orbi Wi-Fi system to an Access point and then reconnect your devices
Either of this steps should help you establish an internet connection seamlessly. In the event that you are still unable to establish an internet connection, you should contact your Internet Service Provider or check with NETGEAR for diagnosis and replacement.
Problem 4: Orbi suddenly stops working
While using your Orbi Wi-Fi system, there are times when it may suddenly stop working. The symptoms would be error messages on your Orbi app and multiple warning lights. When you are faced with such a problem on your Orbi Wi-Fi system, you should try out the following steps;
- Check through your NETGEAR Orbi Wi-Fi system and ensure that it is powered on properly
- Check whether your broadband gateway or cable modem is properly connected to your Orbi Wi-Fi system
- If they are not, you should ensure they are connected
- Restart your Orbi Wi-Fi system in this sequence
- Turn off your modem and unplug it from your power socket
- Turn off your NETGEAR Orbi Wi-Fi system and then turn off your computers
- Plug in your modem back to the power socket and then turn on your modem. Wait for about two minutes so that it can reconnect
- Turn on your NETGEAR Orbi Wi-Fi system and then wait for another two minutes as it reconnects
- Turn on your computes and the rest of your devices
- Reconnect your devices to your Orbi Wi-Fi system
Once you are done with this, your Orbi Wi-Fi system should power on properly and work well without giving you further connection problems. However, in the event that other issues arise you should try out different troubleshooting steps or contact your Internet Service Provider and your manufacturer.
Problem 5: Resetting my Orbi to factory default settings
One of the major troubleshooting steps of the Orbi Wi-Fi system is resetting your Orbi when you find yourself having connectivity failures. To reset your Orbi Wi-Fi system, you should try out the following steps;
- Check and ensure that your Orbi Wi-Fi system is powered on
- Locate the reset button on your Orbi Wi-Fi system
- Press and hold the reset button for about seven to ten seconds using a paper clip
- Wait patiently until the LED on your Orbi Wi-Fi system blinks amber
- Restart your Orbi device
Once you have done this, your Orbi should restart with its default settings. After this you can reconfigure it and start using it again.
Do I need a modem to work with my NETGEAR Orbi Wi-Fi system?
Yes, you do need a modem. The NETGEAR Orbi Wi-Fi system has been designed to work with your already existing gateway or modem. However, the NETGEAR Orbi Cable Wi-Fi system is able to work as a modem and a router, this means that it can replace your existing cable modem or gateway.
Does the NETEGAR Orbi work with my already existing Internet Service Provider?
Yes it does. The NETGEAR Orbi Wi-Fi system works with major Internet Service Providers such as Spectrum, COX and Xfinity. Its universal compatibility nature allows it to do this.