Save money and enjoy high wireless performance with the best wireless routers under $150.
If you are planning to upgrade to one of the best wireless routers on the market, you don’t have to worry about having to spend a lot on some of the high-priced wireless routers because there are numerous affordable routers on the market. And if you are working with a $150 budget of less, there are several options for you to try.
In this article, I’ll help you choose one of the best, affordable wireless routers on the market to suit your needs. Whether you are looking for a router to improve your wireless speed and quality of internet connection, especially if you play games online or stream videos in HD, the options below will help you meet your goals.
Note that some of the wireless routers below work to not only enhance your wireless coverage but also to keep your information and network connections private and safe.
These routers are designed to offer excellent coverage, depending on the size of your home and the features of the router, good performance, and Ethernet ports for wired connections. As you can imagine, some of these routers will be generally better than others, but at the end of the day, there is something for everyone.
Comparison Table for the Best Wireless Routers under $150
A look at this comparison table gives you the details of all the features that define these routers.
Best Wireless Router under $150
NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1750 Smart Wireless Router (R6700)
NETGEAR AX1800 4-Stream WiFi 6 Router (RAX15)
Best WiFi 6 Budget Router
802.11ax/ WiFi 6
TP-Link Archer A9 AC1900 Smart WiFi Router
High-Speed WiFi 5 Smart Router
Asus AC1900 Dual-Band Gigabit WiFi Router –
Best Range Coverage
TP-Link WiFi 6 AX3000 Smart WiFi Router
Best WiFi 6 TP-Link Router
802.11ax/ WiFi 6
5Best Wireless Routers under $150
NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1750 Smart Wireless Router (R6700) – Best Performance
- Fast wifi performance: Get up to 1500 square feet wireless coverage with AC1750 speed (Dual band up to...
- Recommended for up to 25 devices: Reliably stream videos, play games, surf the internet, and connect...
This NetGear Nighthawk AC1750 is one of the fastest wireless routers for its price, and if you are looking for a fast, affordable wireless router, this would be a great option for you.
A dual-band WiFi 5/ 802.11ac router that runs on a triple-stream system, this router makes use of the AC 1750 wireless protocol and offers top wireless internet speeds of 1750Mbps, whether you are accessing and using the WiFi network for your gaming PC or your laptop.
Its dual-band design enhances its performance, with the 2.4GHz frequency offering speeds of up to 450Mbps and broad coverage, hence its use in simple and non-intensive tasks such as browsing. The 5GHz band, on the other hand, offers high connectivity speeds of 1300Mbps, which makes this band the ideal frequency for all the intensive internet needs like gaming and HD streaming.
In addition to the dual-band connectivity, this router also makes use of the Beamforming technology, a system that ensures the best wireless range, as well as an enhancement of the signal focus, and faster internet connections, especially on mobile devices.
But these aren’t the only features that provide for the high level of performance of this wireless router, you also have the power of the unflinching 1GHz dual-core processor, the three detachable antennas, along with the USB 3.0 port which allows for the fastest HDD access. It features one USB 3.0 and one USB 2.0 ports, as well as 4 Gigabit Ethernet ports for wired connections to your gaming console or PCs.
In terms of coverage, this router has a maximum coverage of 1500 sq. Ft. This might not sound like the largest coverage, but if you live in a medium-sized home, you will enjoy excellent coverage and no dead zones throughout the house.
The other impressive feature of this wireless router is its security functions, specifically, Armor Security. This security function is intuitive, and it offers the best level of security to your connected devices and the entire network. The other security systems include WPA2 security protocols, VPN, Guest WiFi, DoS, and a Firewall, among others.
- Seamless wireless connection for a maximum of 25 devices
- High internet speeds of 1750Mbps for high-demand online activities like online gaming and streaming.
- Protection from malware, viruses, and data theft thanks to NetGear Armor
- Good range
- It boasts a strong NAS performance (storage)
- Great speeds enhanced by the 4 gigabit Ethernet wired connections
- Good design
- The performance of the software could be better
NETGEAR AX1800 4-Stream WiFi 6 Router (RAX15)– Best WiFi 6 Budget Router
- Compatibility: Works with existing WiFi devices and new WiFi 6 devices like iPhone 11, Galaxy Note 10,...
- 4 simultaneous streams: Provides more capacity so more devices can use WiFi at the same time.
WiFi 6 is the gold-standard for wireless routers on the market today, with routers made of such wireless technologies boasting some of the best technological features which ensure improved overall performance of the router. The incorporation of WiFi 6 technologies also means that these routers can handle heavy internet usage and streaming with ease. So, as the world gears up for 5G networks, it would be a good idea to invest in one of the best WiFi 6 routers because this would mean better internet capabilities.
It’s worth noting that the WiFi 6 networks have an edge over WiFi 5 or 802.11ac systems, in that the WiFi 6/ 802.11ax systems boasts a 4X greater capacity than its predecessors, it comes Smart-home ready, the internet speeds are faster, it’s 100% backward compatible, and it also allows for many simultaneous WiFi streams. ThisNetGear AX1800 RAX15 WiFi router is, therefore, designed to enhance your home’s internet connection at all times, thanks to the 4-stream WiFi system.
Some of the features that stand out from this router include the super-fast internet speeds of 1.8Gbps, which ensure the smoothest HD streaming speeds and best gaming performance.
The 4 Gigabit Ethernet ports ensure wired connections for gaming consoles and PCs, and thanks to the 4 WiFi streams, this router boasts a larger capacity. The 4 WiFi streams also ensure more bandwidth accessible by your devices.
Then you have the OFDMA technology that will bring to an end the slow internet connections. OFDMA is a unique technological feature that ensures robust WiFi bandwidth sharing, increasing the efficiency of the router. Thanks to OFDMA, you will have more data sent/ received by all your devices at once. This router boasts other technologies, for example, Alexa voice controls and Beamforming+.
You’ll also be happy to know that the RAX15 router supports all the 1G internet plans on the market today, thanks to the 1 Gigabit Ethernet ports. It also boasts a larger coverage thanks to the two high-powered antennas.
- High-speed WiFi 6 system
- Dual-band system
- Advanced technological features, including OFDMA and Beamforming+ for improved signal strength and speed
- It works with Alexa
- Powerful Quad-core processor
- 4 Gigabit Ethernet ports for dedicated wired connections
- 4-stream WiFi system for higher speeds, larger capacity, and prevention of gridlocks
- Smart-home ready
- Large coverage of at least 1500 square feet
- Good design
- No WiFi drops
- You need more AX clients for the best performance
- For the price point, 8-gigabit ports would make more sense
TP-Link Archer A9 AC1900 Smart WiFi Router – High-Speed WiFi 5 Smart Router
- JD Power Award ---Highest in customer satisfaction for wireless routers 2017 and 2019
- Wave 2 Wireless Internet Router, 600Mbps on the 2.4GHz band and 1300Mbps on the 5GHz band, Works with...
TP-Link Archer A9 represents one of the best and the latest options of mid-range wireless routers on the market, and it would be a great option for you if you are looking for the best deal on a high-speed wireless router.
Some of the features that make this router rated as highly as some of the high-end, highly-priced routers are the MU-MIMO and Beamforming technological features, These features are missing from other TP-Link routers, for example, Archer A7.
MU-MIMO is an intuitive technological function that will allow for the best simultaneous streaming to different devices/ clients, rather than sequential streaming.
As a result of its function, this feature results in a significant improvement in the router’s throughput. Then you have Beamforming, which and also boasts the wireless network’s throughput. It does this by shaping the signal, hence an increase in range and network efficiency.
Note, however, that despite the incorporation of the latest technological features, this router is an AC router, which means that it is a WiFi 5 router. Of course, its performance would have been even higher if it was a WiFi 6 router.
The other features that make this wireless router a good option include the 2.4GHz 4X4 wireless bands with speeds of up to 600Mbps plus the 5GHz 3×3 frequency band that offers high internet speeds of 1300Mbps, as well as the Smart Connect. It also boasts a USB 2.0port (a USB3.0 would be a good addition though), 4 Gigabit Ethernet ports (LAN), as well as a Qualcomm quad-core processor with a 128MB RAM.
Thanks to all these features incorporated into this smart router, it’s quite stable compared to other routers within the same price range.
- It boasts an ultra-fast wave 2 WiFi connectivity
- MU-MIMO and Beamforming ensure silky smooth gaming and 4K streaming
- High internet speeds of 1.9Gbps
- Great signal strength
- Wired ports, three high-gain antennas, and Beamforming result in good internet connection to your devices
- Easy setup and system management
- It works with Alexa
- Smart Connect technology prevents network/ band congestion
- Great security functions, including Access Control, Parental Controls, and a VPN server
- Airtimes Fairness for lag-free connections
- 5 Ethernet ports
- Not ideal for large and extra-large homes
- Not a WiFi 6 system
Asus AC1900 Dual-Band Gigabit WiFi Router – Best Range Coverage
- Dual band with the latest 802; 11 AC 3x3 technology for combined speeds of up to 1900 Mbps
- 1 GigaHertz dual core CPU enables smart multitasking by dedicating separate lanes for Wi Fi and USB data;...
The other top-rated and affordable WiFi router that falls right within your budget is this ASUS AC1900 router. Running on a dual-band frequency system based on the 802.11ac protocol and 3×3 technology, this router boasts rather high combined speeds of 1900Mbps, making this router a great option for you if you are looking for TP-Link Archer A9 alternative.
The 2.4GHz band offers high speeds of 600Mbps and a larger coverage, while the 5GHz band runs at 1300Mbps, and it’s ideal for connection with HD streaming devices or gaming consoles.
It comes with a 1GHz dual-core CPU which powers up the router and allows for multitasking by allowing the router to run on different lanes, for USB and WiFi data. It boasts an effortless setup process thanks to the ASUSWRT interface, as well as its connectivity (dual-band), which ensures good compatibility and good performance.
The other features that boost the performance of this router include the advanced technological features such as MU-MIMO, which boasts the router’s maximum throughput and signal strength to the connected devices. It also features adaptive QoS, a huge prioritization function that handles all bandwidth prioritization functions. So, if you will are a gamer, you will enjoy the best WiFi connection to your devices, as well as reduced lags.
Like other top-rated Asus routers, this router comes with AiMesh functions for the best connection with Mesh WiFi systems, as well as AiProtection, the advanced network security feature which is powered by Asus Trend Micro for the best level of security. It also offers parental controls.
- Dual-band data frequencies with a maximum speed of 1900Mbps
- 4 Gigabit LAN ports for the best-wired connections
- AiProtection enhances its multi-stage protection from vulnerabilities
- Easy setup
- TurboQAM WiFi Acceleration for supercharged performance
- 1GHz dual-core processor for high performance and smooth streaming
- Enhanced range
- A high degree of network stability thanks to Asus’AiRadar
- Beamforming technology ensured dynamic data speeds, extended coverage, and increased stability
- Good coverage for large homes
- Enhanced security system thanks to AiProtection
- It lacks a removable stand
- No automatic firmware notifications
- Not WiFi 6
TP-Link WiFi 6 AX3000 Smart WiFi Router – Best WiFi 6 TP-Link Router
- JD Power Award ---Highest in customer satisfaction for wireless routers 2017 and 2019
- Wi-Fi 6 Router: Wi-Fi 6(802. 11ax) technology achieves up to 3x faster speeds, 4x capacity and 75% lower...
WiFi 6 or the 802.11ax WiFi protocol is the newest and the fastest WiFi version on the market today, and though WiFi routers running on this new protocol are largely expensive, this TP-Link AX3000 is one of the affordable, high-speed routers. It boasts a theoretical speed of 3000Mbps running on its dual-band system at 600Mbps on the 2.4GHz band and 2400Mbps on the 5GHz band.
It’s worth noting that the WiFi 6 router version means that you will enjoy higher internet speeds, up to 3x faster than the speeds offered on WiFi 5 (802.11ac) systems. This system also boasts a higher capacity (4x), as well as a reduction in latency by as much as 75%. Doubled with the dual-core processor, this router offers the smoothest, buffer-free WiFi system.
Besides the dual-band design, this router boasts a number of impressive features, which make it one of the top-rated routers on the market today. These features include the Next-Gen 3 Gaps’ speeds, which means that there are varying speeds for the gaps –
2402Mbps on the 5GHz band and 574Mbps on the 2.4GHz bands. Thanks to these gaps, this router allows for the fastest, buffer-free gaming and streaming speeds.
OFDMA technology in this router allows for the connection of multiple devices at the same time and the simultaneous communication for the devices. This, along with MU-MIMO technology, helps in minimizing lags for applications and devices, hence ultra-smooth entertainment. QoS ensures bandwidth prioritization.
The other impressive feature of this router is the Target Wake Time technology, which increases its battery life by reducing the device’s power consumption. You might also like its advanced security features ensuring the protection of your devices and network, for example, the TP-Link HomeCare system that comes with next-gen antivirus features, as well as the most robust systems for parental controls.
- Easy setup and management thanks to the app
- Tops speeds of 3Gbps
- Faster WiFi speeds thanks to WiFi 6 protocols
- Reduced device power consumption thanks to Target Wake TIme
- Less network coverage
- 4 Streams and OFDMA ensure simultaneous connectivity for devices
- Ideal for heavy streaming and gaming
- Reliable parental controls
- Beamforming enhances its network coverage
- It’s backward compatible
- You cannot turn off the QoS
- It lacks a default admin account
Buying Guide for the Best Wireless Routers under $150
The speed of the router is the primary consideration that you need to bear in mind as it determines the performance of the router and whether the device will match your needs or not.
When it comes to internet/ WiFi speeds, you need to know that any speed below 100Mbps is quite slow, and it won’t meet your heavy internet use, hence the need for high-speed routers.
The routers’ market is today filled with numerous options of routers to match your needs, and depending on what you are looking for, we recommend opting for the high-speed WiFi router protocols. These could be either WiFi 5 (802.11ac) or WiFi 6 (802.11ax).
WiFi 6 represents the latest version of high-speed WiFi routers, and it boasts the highest internet speeds. WiFi 6 is 3 to 4 times faster than WiFi 5, it boasts a larger capacity, it’s ready for use in smart homes, it allows for simultaneous WiFi streams, and it is 100% backward compatible.
Number of bands
There are dual and tri-band routers, but the dual-band routers are the most popular options on the market today. It’s a good idea to choose a dual-band system (or higher) because the dual-band means that you have access to two frequencies 2.4GHz and 5GHz.
While the 2.4GHz band offers lower internet speeds, it boasts a larger coverage. The 5GHz band, on the other hand, boasts very high dedicated internet speeds, and it offers the best (throughput) performance, specifically for gaming and HD streaming. A single-stream system isn’t recommended because it gets overcrowded
Future tech and features
Some of the features that you need to look out for in your wireless router include:
- MU-MIMO (Multiple User Multiple Input Multiple Output), a technology that allows for the simultaneous streaming of data to a number of clients, hence an improved throughput.
- Beamforming – this technology also enhances the router’s throughput by shaping the signal, hence improvement in range and efficiency
- OFDMA (Orthogonal Frequency-Division Multiple Access) – this also boost throughput buy breaking down single channels into sub-channels
- TWT (Target Wake Time) – this feature boosts performance by reducing power consumption
- Ports – make sure the router selected comes with Gigabit Ethernet ports and USB ports for wired connections and data transfers, and overall improved flexibility.
- Controls and Access – lookout for parental controls to protect your children, guest access, and WPA systems for the best security levels.
Are there good WiFi 6 Routers under $150?
Yes. TP-Link and Netgear offer some of the best, affordable WiFi 6 routers on the market, and they all promise the best router speeds. These routers have a large capacity, and they are more reliable.
Should you buy a router going for less than $150?
Yes. $150 is a lot of money, and there are numerous high-performance routers under this price range, and the best bit is that their performance is great for medium-sized homes and even large homes. All you need to do is to evaluate its features and weigh them against your needs.
Are WiFi Routers Under $150 Secure?
The level of security will differ in different routers, but you need to look at the security protocols incorporated into a router. Look out for routers with WPA2/ WPA3 protocols for higher levels of security. Brand-specific protocols are an added advantage.
The five routers above are the best routers under $150. As you can see, there is something for everyone. All you need to do is to make sure that the router selected offered the speeds and features you need for the high level of performance you anticipate.